Welcome. In years past, I have blogged some of our family travels. I have loved looking back on our adventures in this way as each blog post was like a diary, not just of where we went and what we did, but how we felt. Well, now it's just he and I. And I thought I'd like to record our travels in this way. Mostly for me, but feel free to follow along if it suits you! I don't know how it's gonna turn out. We never do, really. I actually love not knowing. It's one of my favourite parts of being human. We leave today for Rome. Five days in Rome, then to Bari, way down south. With a roughed out itinerary in place and a rental car, we'll explore Puglia, Basilicata and Calabria along the Ionian coast - from the heel to the toe. So what is the point? It's right there, right by Sicily. That's the point. We're going there. If you're interested in past travels with the fam, check these o...
Naples is big and loud and crazy and fun. They love their city. So many churches. So many pastries. There’s a lot to do in and around Naples historically but we focussed on the historic center and spent, essentially, every waking moment exploring the streets, churches, alleyways and shops of Centro Storico. We went to the archeological museum and attempted to scratch the surface there, and also to the tiny museum of the chapel of Sansevero where, my pre-chosen deep desire of this trip was the statue of the veiled Christ. No pictures as we weren’t allowed , but here is a link for the interested.
Subiaco is the town where the monk Romanus brought the young man Benedict to as he was seeking solitude. a beautiful church is built over the cave where Benedict lived for three years. Alive with frescos and little chapels, it’s a peaceful sanctuary that feels, well, holy. One thing is clear about St. Benedict after seeing both Monte Cassino and Subiaco. He liked to live life clinging to precarious cliff sides. I theorize that this lifestyle cemented his pray and work ethos as praying for one’s safety would be ingrained in the day to day of cliffside digs and hauling one’s daily necessities would be hard physical labour.
Comments
Post a Comment